About Us

Burns Plumbing History

John Burns I, originally emigrating from Ireland, founded Burns Plumbing in 1908 in Chicago'’s Bridgeport neighborhood. John quickly opened shop working under the Plumber’s Local Union 130 and began servicing residential and area merchants. From the very start, John established trust and proved to be a successful business owner.

25 years later, in 1933, John passed his business along to his three sons, John II, Cyril, and Ed. The three young boys were eager to grow the business and opened a new shop at 3923 South Archer Avenue, renaming them as J. Burns Sons Plumbing. Business in the early 1940s was consistent with new housing projects keeping the men busy. Their time was also spent servicing the small boom of commercial factories and nearby packinghouses on the Southside.

Continuing the tradition, John III began his career as a Plumber at the age of 18. In 1950, few went to college and John III knew that he would be able to make a profitable living and raise a future family doing what he and his family loved most. John III took over and rebranded the company as J.J. Burns Plumbing Inc. where he expanded business to Oak Lawn. To this very day, John III still lives in Oak Lawn with his wife and continues to represent the Burns Plumbing tradition.


John IV (Jack) Burns, CEO
 

Again in 1976, another Burns son joined the family business. John IV (Jack) worked alongside his father for 33 years. In 1979, Jack moved to Lemont where he raised his family. Throughout that time, Burns Plumbing was established and serviced Oak Lawn, Lemont, and surrounding southwest suburbs. In order to provide better service, Jack opened their current shop at 504 Talcott Avenue in 1990. For the last 33 years, Burns Plumbing has serviced Lemont and the entire Southwest Suburbs.

Jack has been able to grow the business and add valuable team members including his nephews and son. You can count on Burns Plumbing to continue to be a company grounded on family, values, and trust.